Research shows you have 3 – 5 seconds to capture someone’s attention when they land on your website. And in that flash of time, they need to be able answer 3 questions if they’re going to stay on your site and engage further with your services.
The 3 questions you need to answer are:
1. What do you do?
2. How does it make their life better?
3. How do they get it?
It’s what’s referred to as the ‘grunt test’. If your website header doesn’t pass the test, a potential client will leave your website without learning any more about your business.
To pass the ‘grunt test’ your header must:
Passing the ‘grunt test’ is something I always focus on when copywriting for clients, so let’s take a look at 4 recent copywriting projects.
1. What do I do? Give Strategy Sessions to help you grow your business. Focus on marketing.
2. How does it make your life better? It will give you confidence and clarity with your marketing.
3. How do you get it? You can schedule a call with me, or view my services which includes links to my contact page. There’s also a ‘Schedule Call’ option in the header.
1. What do they do? Offer postpartum programs and classes for women.
2. How does it make your life better? Their classes are OB-recommended (so you can trust them) and their focus is improving the postpartum experience.
3. How do you get it? You can click to register, or learn more about their classes on offer.
1. What do they do? Offer coaching to help women in business.
2. How does it make your life better? By providing support and accountability (so you can thrive).
3. How do you get it? You can contact Stacey to book an inquiry call.
1. What do they do? Design brands for thought leaders.
2. How does it make your life better? Helps you become the go-to expert in your industry.
3. How do you get it? I ask Jason, by clicking the button. I could also “Find my Authority Score” by clicking the button in the top right.
Can you see how each of these examples fills you in on the most important details in a matter of seconds, whether it’s through words or a visual read you’re able to make via the imagery used.
Take a look at your website and see whether you think your header is passing the “grunt test”.
If not, can you make some quick changes to better communicate what you do, how it makes your ideal client’s life better, and how they can get it?
Remember: Don’t be clever or cute. Focus on being CLEAR. People don’t have time to decipher witty statements in 3 seconds.
If you’d like support with copywriting for your website or marketing material, you can inquiry about my Done-in-a-Day Copywriting Services here.